View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Old TVs are better!

The set was quite a challenge to fix, but I now have it working really good, once it warms up for 5 or 10 minutes. Apparently the set has had quite a few hours on it and being a Samsung, I believe the sparkles are just caused by a weak high hours panel. But fixing it became quite a challenge. First finding out the power supply was the main culprit, and I ordered a used one off E-bay. Well that one came in the mail with the box crushed and one corner of the panel broken off, so had to send it back for credit and order another one from a different supplier. Then after seeing pairing of lines and sparkles, I figured out the Y sustain board had problems. I ordered one (also of E-bay), adjusted the pots on the board for the least amount of sparkles and had a good picture, well for about 2 hours, and guess what, I went back to check on the set, and the screen was flashing off and on, high contrast, super bright. Checked power supply voltages, and they were jumping up and down. Unplugged the Y sustain, and power supply voltages were normal, and adjustable, but no picture of course. Well scrap the Y sustain board, and ordered another. Got the 2nd Y sustain board in the set (adjusted the pots) and the set has worked perfect for over a week now, about 6-8 hours a day. Apparently the first Y sustain board crapped out after a couple of hours of use. Finally got everything back together and the set is looking good, except for a few sparkles when first turned on. Another "learning" project completed. I think working on old tube TVs is actually easier to troubleshoot.
Audiokarma