View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 PM
Technohippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
I will be attempting this this weekend.

First step is chopping off the end and testing continuity to see if the problem is indeed with the connector. My question here is what tool do I use to strip the thick cable?
A utility knife or x-acto knife and some care will work to remove the outer jacket. The wires inside will need a wire stripper.

Quote:
Second is to crack open the housing and solder the wires to the connector. Your post explains things pretty well. However, I don't own a soldering iron. Which one should I buy? There are many different types. I assume I can buy the connector itself at radioshack.
A temperature controlled iron around 40W or so. These connectors are a bit cramped to be your first soldering project, though. Practice a bit before attempting. RS used to sell the needed parts at one time, but many of them have closed or eliminated their parts stocks. You need a 15 pin male HD connector and a backshell to fit it.

Quote:
Also, does the cable shield need a connection to the connector shell (is that the metal part?)?
Usually. Check the cut off end to confirm. Yes, that is the metal outer part of the connector. Solder to it quickly to avoid melting the plastic parts.

Quote:
What is a strain relief?
A clamp or other arrangement to mechanically fix the end of a cable to a connector, preventing excessive strain on the individual connections. A clamp should come with the connector backshell.

Quote:
I was thinking, would it be simpler to buy a VGA cable and cut it in the middle, and join the two cables?
It might be, but the colors of wires may not match, and unless you reshield the splice with copper foil tape or whatever, there is the possibility of interference in the image from stray signal pickup.

Last edited by N2IXK; 06-17-2016 at 10:23 PM.