Thread: AMC Eagle
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Folks. I have officially gone into stupid territory with this car.
Last three weeks consisted of the rear end of the drivetrain being rebuilt due to suspicions about its condition and the possibility that I might not get parts later. I am now over $7000CAD into repairs on just the radiator and drivetrain on this car. Nothing else. This is all stuff that I should REALLY be doing at home due to half of that being labour charges but I simply do not stock a garage with tools for pulling gears, seals and bearings due to cost. At least we're done with it now. Everything else is regular garage work.
Anyways it was found that both rear drum brakes had cracked shoes, the rear passenger side bearing was starting to get iffy and the differential pinion bearing and race were junk.

I also got persuaded by my parents to have the radiator reassessed after the discovery of that leak during the flush. As it turned out the radiator failed testing due to the top tank coming loose. That was something I did not detect but man, that could of been bad. A re-core was $750 but a *new* exact replacement was $550, so I went for that.
Now I'm here dismantling and cleaning the switches for the power seats. Initially I thought that just a flush with iso and compressed air would help but it made it worse, so now they need to be removed, dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt.