View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 02:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
[QUOTE=old_tv_nut;3224970]

When I was on the NTSC monitor committee at SMPTE, NBC/RCA set up a test with some brightly colored objects, which were displayed on two identical monitors, except that the CRTs had been made by Sylvania with one being essentially SMPTE C and the other having NTSC green. There was a skein of kelly-green yarn that had been found that was specifically outside the modern phosphor range. I do not recall any cyan object that was outside the range. We then compared the two renditions side by side, including turning the monitor matrix adjustment on and off.“

So you saw NTSC green and presumably other NTSC colors on the Sylvania CRT. And no professional camera could capture NTSC colors and now I mean still camera's? Is it possible for you to reproduce as close as possible a 1953 NTSC green color sample based on your knowledge?

I know what your going to say, how can I see it on my monitor. I have DCI-P3 which has 26% wider gamut over sRGB. Not as wide as 1953 NTSC though.

Edit: You said “If you put color bars on your old set, take a picture with a digital camera set to Adobe RGB or prophoto RGB, and display it on a wide-gamut monitor (or the old TV), then you should see the NTSC primaries and secondaries reproduced, sort of.” Would that be reduced luminance/saturation?

Last edited by etype2; 06-20-2020 at 03:04 PM.