View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, that's me and that's the TV that's currently sitting at the consignment shop. They had $65 on it; but, I eventually told them to take whatever they could get. I know there is nothing we can do about it and I know I need to stop ranting about it; but, it seriously is disgusting and it pisses me off that I have a nice looking console TV, complete with A/V jacks for a video game or DVD player, and these SOB's in my area won't even give it a second look. It wasn't that many years ago that I would have laughed at someone for offering me $65 for such a TV and priced at $100, I would have had people fighting over it.

I have a friend, who I've mentioned before, whe sells second-hand items. About 13 years ago, when I first met him, he'd come over on Wednesday and pick up 3 or 4 TV's, sell them on Thursday, pick up more Thursday night, sell them on Friday, pick up more on Friday night, and sell them on Saturday. Even after his cut, I was still making several hundred dollars in a weekend. He was also doing very well at selling other used items.

Now, business has gotten so bad for him (not just with TV's) that he only sells stuff on Saturday; and, on some days, he only makes enough to cover his gas and food. He might sell one or two TV's a month, at $15-$25 each; which, ain't shit. He's about the only person who has luck with getting rid of my TV's; but, he only wants to deal with smaller sets that he can move by himself (he is in his 70's and not in the best of health) and he has dropped a few hints like he may be getting tired of fooling with TV's. Of course, I can't blame him. When you can only make a few dollars profit and then have to worry about these idiots who often don't understand what "as-is" means; then, it's really not worth the trouble. In the past, he has actually sold some TV's for next to nothing, only to have the idiot buyers bring them back a month later because they were not happy with the TV.

It all goes back to how snobby people have become in thinking they must have "new everything". You know, just run on down to best buy and swipe the plastic (I guess when you're already $20K in credit card debt; what's a few hundred added on here and there).

Concerning the '97 console, it probably wasn't a good idea for them to have laid it on it's back. If it's one of the RCA's with a flat back; then, it may be OK. If it's the style with a plastic cover that sticks out the back; then, they may have busted the neck off the CRT.