Thread: Boomboxes
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 02:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a pretty cool Toshiba boombox I got shipped from the UK. Looks to be mid- to late-80s vintage with a 240V/50Hz power input, so I can only run it on D-cells. The main thing that attracted me to it was that it is digital tune and wouldn't be set to tune like standard US radios. The set has 4 bands, LW/MW/SW/FM, and actually gets pretty good reception considering its age and the fact that the antenna base is corroded. More than once I've picked up shortwave broadcasts out of Cuba, and the first time I fired it up I picked up a Dutch SW broadcast. Per EU specs, it tunes AM (or Meduim Wave) in 6KHz increments rather than 10KHz but I still can pick up all my AM stations. I find it amusing that I can tune in "666." It tunes FM not only in even and odd number KHz, but in half KHz increments. (IE, rather than the standard US FM stereo that picks up only odd-number frequencies; 99.1, then 99.3, etc, it picks up 99.10, then 99.15, then 99.20, etc.) It has 5 band EQ, and dual cassette decks with dubbing.

It's the best portable radio I've had since my old Mallory. I miss my Mallory.