View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 03:46 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I've got one of these sitting out in the garage, it's in so-so shape and the CRT is weak though I should have something to replace it with.

I dread working on GE sets for some reason, they just seem weird and hard to get working right, my 803 has been sitting half finished because the tuner and i.f. section was so weird I didn't want to deal with it.

I've wondered about that strange hole where the CRT socket is, they all seem to have it and I've never seen one with a cover, did they originally have something to plug the hole?
Dunno. I have a few reference pictures of other 810s and they all have that hole too.

I think the 803 is pretty cool looking. I had a shot at one recently with a cracked dial face, but the bidding went over my limit. Something like $300 I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
Won't the bubbles in the safety glass be hidden when it's installed?

John
Unfortunately no, the bezel only covers a thin edge of the glass. Not that big a deal I suppose.

I stripped off a portion of the old finish and was surprised at the color difference. I wonder why they used Mahogany only to cover it with a heavy walnut finish ?

I coated a test strip with Brown Mahogany toner, Golden Mahogany stain and Medium Brown Walnut toner. None are close at all

I reviewed the Mohawk color chart and I think Van Dyke Walnut or Universal Walnut is a good match.

Here's a Philco 37-630 radio which I think is van dyke walnut for comparison.

I don't have any on hand, but luckily it's on sale at Pond Cove Paint. I hope it gets here soon.

Last edited by bandersen; 10-03-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Audiokarma