View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I dread working on GE sets for some reason, they just seem weird and hard to get working right, my 803 has been sitting half finished because the tuner and i.f. section was so weird I didn't want to deal with it.

I've wondered about that strange hole where the CRT socket is, they all seem to have it and I've never seen one with a cover, did they originally have something to plug the hole?
The only other GEs I have worked on are Locomotives and similar models with the same chassis, and I do find those a bit strange -- especially the particular split power supply scheme they use.

The 810 is a much more conventional design. I have one here that is electrically restored, and performs very nicely. Can't think of anything off hand that I found strange in its circuitry.

The cabinet on mine is in a bit tougher shape than the one being discussed here. Sometime in the next month or two I will get into the cabinet restoration on that one.

Interesting you mentioned the strange hole in the back cover where the CRT socket is. For some reason, I had not really noticed it before! I imagine there must have been some kind of flimsy plastic cover made of something that completely disintegrates in less than 60 years!

Tom