View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
It's no surprise really. Those games were REALLY fun.....except for ET I guess. I never played it long enough to figure it out (but do remember HAVING to have it :-P )

I built one of my old original Donkey Kong upright cabinets into a MAME machine about 15 years ago when I was faced with a scrambled ROM on the original DK board. It's been updated with newer hardware and newer versions of MAME and "rom sets" until around five years ago. Everyone that comes to the flat sees this big blue DK machine (how can you MISS it!) and wants to see it go. It comes up in WindowsXP and I have a batch file that makes it run Donkey Kong on startup so it still SORTA resembles the original game.

Kids actually DO like these games if they are still in the original cabinet with a barstool. In that "form factor" it becomes hard to even try and compare it to a console or cellphone version. I have the original NES system in the back bedroom for when I feel like playing Duck Hunt or that Mario game (You HAVE to use a CRT monitor for Duck Hunt....because of the "zapper" gun)