View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 11:33 AM
M is for Memory

Wow that's a lot of info...

One thing that jumps out to me is your statement that resistance of a resistor changes when power is applied. How did you determine that? If you left your DMM in resistance mode connected across the resistor and powered up the set then you are making a BIG mistake....DMMs measure resistance by either sending a fixed current into the resistor and measuring voltage drop or sending a fixed voltage into the resistor and measuring current flow....If the radio is powered and sending power through the resistor the resistor then has an additional power source across it that changes current flow and voltage across the resistor (which the DMM don't expect)....Best case scenario that power the meter doesn't expect makes your reading substantially inaccurate and worst case scenario the voltage and current it sends into your meter destroys the DMM...
I've had the later happen by accident multiple times...I tend to switch between measuring resistance with the set off and voltage with the set on and sometimes forget to change mode on the DMM.
If you like your DMM and want accurate readings NEVER measure resistance of a powered resistor!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4