Thread: Epic win!
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Good to know that they cross to the ECG792/793. I'll keep an eye out for extras.
Your set has only the 15-37701-1, an ECG793.

E42 and earlier chassis used the 792/793 pair, but in your set, instead of the 15-37700-1, you have a 15-43212-1, which crosses to an ECG820. It is the improved version of the old 15-37700 chip, which produced flagging sync/sync unlock, or an out of freq lock when a VCR was connected. They also had problems with the VIR signal, so Sylvania had to upgrade the chip. For this reason, they obsoleted the 15-37700 chip once stock was depleted. I'd venture to say that half of the chips replaced did exactly as they were designed, and that they were replaced in error. Huge learning curve when you couldn't get stable horizontal drive. We figured it out with a VA48, and later had that confirmed at a service seminar. The VA48 ouptut lacked the VIR signal, and told us that the set would operate normally, and act up on VIR signals. Only one station here transmitted VIR at the time. The VCR problem was another headache. My Superset was an E48-5, a close cousin to yours.

Keep your normal/service switch happy - mine got dirty, and I had a nice vertical bounce. Flicking the switch a few times clears it up. Great CRTs..
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma