View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, my goodness, I'm looking at the posts subsequent to yours and I feel like I've started a "poop"storm. Ha!

Thanks for the edit. I'll change it to 'took' (too be honest, I was unaware of the difference; I'll have to read up on it) and 'picture' (I was just trying to point out how dangerous the voltage could be). As for the Philippines, I have nothing against the place nor RCA. I just picked the Phillippines out of the blue to be the country to have made the fictional defective caps. I'll use your suggestion for that, too.

I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to reading the 1959 Radio & TV News magazines I just bought from ebay for some color material.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis View Post
Nicely done. May I suggest just three 'edits' from an old editor.

[1] First, I'm still a stickler for bring and take. The second paragraph ends, "...so he brought the set to the shop." I know nobody cares anymore, but "...he took the set to the shop." would be my preference.

[2] "...and had over twenty-two kilovolts of zapping power." A TV set is not a taser. It produces a picture. Thus: "...and had over twenty-two kilovolts of picture power."

[3] This is less objective. I could find no earlier reference in this thread to a Philippines-sourced electrolytic (filter) capacitor. I looked because I did not know that RCA used such foreign-made parts then and wondered from where the reference originated. So, it is to me a bit of a slur on RCA, which was the largest manufacturer color television sets and for whom I worked in 1961. Thus, "...until he remembered reading a few years back some sets were built with cheap caps from the Philippines." might be revised to: "...until he remembered reading a few years back some sets were built with defective caps Incoming Inspection had missed.

Whatever.

Pete