View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 10:29 AM
M is for Memory

The only Zenith's I know of that are infamous for eating flybacks are the late 40s- early 50s portholes...Zenith learned from those and typically overbuilt their flybacks so they'd almost never fail...Out of the 20-30 Zenith's I've owned I've never had a bad flyback.

You can usually remove the chassis without the tuner there's typically 3 spare connectors on the wires that go to the terminal strip on the tuner (plus the RCA plug for the IF lead at the tuner. The leads are typically pretty self explanatory B+ is a barrel style, heater is flat blade with an insulator on the connector, AGC is flat blade uninsulated...you can mix up heater and AGC but the terminal strip heater lug usually has a dial lamp wire connected to it to clue you in to avoid connecting AGC there.

Typically on Zeniths you almost never need to pull the chassis, just turn the cabinet on its side and open the service saver bottom hatch and you can access everything under chassis with the chassis still in the cabinet...Heck while you're doing that because the CRT is still connected the cabinet will act as its own test jig.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4