View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Technohippie

Testing begins with a series of testing flowcharts, where the builder uses the provided VOM to make a series of resistance tests to verify that no major shorts or miswiring exists. Tests were made using both the "Troubleshooter" VOM and a DMM (Fluke 87). As Heath gave no specific resistance values, just which area (A-E) the troubleshooter needle should indicate for each test, I noted the actual resistance reading taken with the DMM in my build notes.

You test the AC line circuitry first, checking for continuity and shorts to chassis ground. Then the various main power supply rails are checked for resistance to ground, to rule out shorts or reversed polarity components that might cause damage at powerup. About a dozen tests all together, and all passed with flying colors.

At this point, you preset the brightness, brightness limiter, drive, screen and kine bias controls as specified, and unplug the CRT socket. The set gets connected to 120 vac, and the switch is thrown.....

No bang....

The gentle crackling sound of HV supply coming alive!

No smoke or bad smells...

Back to the testing charts, where measurements are made of cathode, G1 and G2 voltages, and a couple power supply rails. All well within the specs...

An occasional snap/crackle was noted from inside the HV cage and traced to a bit of cardboard packing material that was trapped under the edge of the HV rectifier tube socket.

The set is then powered down, and the CRT socket connected. Ready for "first light" tomorrow night, when my chroma board helper and her mom are dropping by for dinner and to watch this thing come to life. The suspense is killing me...

Not much in the way of pics for this post. I hope some screen shots will be taken tomorrow night....

Last edited by N2IXK; 06-16-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Audiokarma