View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I thought I would post a little update on my TV in case it helps someone else out with a similar set. I ended up getting what basically is the HR Diemen 7718 although its probably a different brand since it goes under the part number 334P-12602. I went this route to avoid having to import one from Ireland. the same seller on ebay also had a 334P-12603 that looked identical except the wire coming from the base near the screen control was grey instead of orange like the original one in the TV which had a grey wire, though im betting this is simply a manufacturing variance, although I could be wrong. I could not find a cross reference for the 603 so I went with the 602 since I could at least verify the pinout.

when it arrived, the 602 matched all the DC resistances of the original flyback although the primary between pins 1-2 had a lower resistance of about .8-.9 ohms vs the original of about 1.3 ohms. I understand that DC resistances on a transformer are just a guess but i'm unsure how to properly test inductive components, i'm thinking I need an LCR meter for this sort of thing but that's besides the point.

The new flyback is a bit larger than the old one but it still fit snugly once I loosened up the Input board and bracket on the back of the main PCB. once installed I powered it up half expecting something to explode and short out but was greeted with the sound of static from the speaker and the very faint high pitch whine of the deflection/high voltage working just fine. I then turned up the screen control to light the screen and adjusted the focus and everything was normal.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I had tried again to repair the original flyback once more with epoxy, and while it worked fair, it would start ticking and popping after a few minutes of operation and just gave me the feeling that it was trying to arc out again. The new part does not do any of this and is much much quieter overall than the original part I had tried to fix.

Two things I have noticed though is a slight tilt in the picture and a slight gap on the right side of the screen. The screen tilt or rotation i'm sure is easy to fix by simply rotating the yoke slightly but the horizontal deflection does not appear to have any sort of adjustment other than a horizontal hold pot buried under the crt at the front of the chassis with a glob of epoxy holding it in place, the service manual basically says its set at the factory and to leave it alone. I checked the B+ voltage and while it goes a bit low on a snowy screen, it stays right at 123v when a picture is displayed through the inputs regardless of brightness. the screen does show a little blooming too that was not there before (if thats the right term for a growing and shrinking screen depending on brightness although it could be picture bending since I can see the linearity change as an object moves up or down along the screen. I am wondering if their may be some ripple effect on the B+ due to the lower impedance of the new flyback primary winding that isn't showing up on my meter. there is one unpopulated electrolytic capacitor spot on the chassis between the B+ and ground although there is another 47uf 200v cap between the same two traces but the service manual does not give me a value for it.

sorry if I bored anyone with my little novel