View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 01:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I went and checked the voltages coming off of the secondary, other than the heater, there are two sources. One is for the neck board and is listed as 195.5 volts. I read about 192-193 with a picture. The other was a 14 volt supply for the ICs on the main board, I read a fairly stable 14.1-14.3 volts.

I came across some interesting info here
https://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_m...tml#MONFAQ_018

It mentions that beam deflection in a CRT gets "stiffer" at higher voltages resulting in a smaller picture both horizontally and vertically. since the service manual states that the HV is non adjustable and is specified as 22.2 kv for the original flyback, I wonder if the output of my new flyback is ok for the secondaries but a little too high for the HV part?

I had always assumed that the screen pot on a flyback fine tuned the high voltage output, but now I realize that this isn't the way it works, unless i'm mistaken. looking at the data for an HR7718 flyback shows an output of 24.5 kv. However I don't necessarily trust their specs because I do remember watching a video of someone repairing a 1990 Samsung TV with a failed flyback. He showed the Sams Photofact specs for the OE flyback output and the part number for the replacement. I went and crossed this number on HR Diemen's site and it listed a voltage that was about 7kv lower if I remember correctly. Im thinking that a high voltage probe would be a good tool for me to buy next.

Im not so sure how I would correct this if it does turn out to be the issue? turning down the B+ would lower HV but throw off all the other voltages.

I feel like I am learning quite a bit from all this though