View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
The first thing you need to do is verify that the low voltage power supply is regulating properly. Does it have a switching power supply, or a linear voltage regulator?

If it's a switching power supply, is the power supply shutting down, or just the horizontal sweep/HV?

If it's a linear power supply, it's common for the regulator IC to short causing excessive B+ and HV shutdown. You can do a quick test for this by running it at reduced line voltage using a variac.

I don't suppose it has any large ICs in sockets? NEC had problems with IC sockets in the 80's that would cause all kinds of trouble. The solution was to get rid of the socket and solder the IC directly to the board.

A few good pictures of the inside might prompt some more suggestions.
These really do sound like very good suggestions but I believe at this level it is where it begins to start going over my head. Unfortunately I do not have a variac and I am unsure what type of power supply it is. Is there something simple I can look for to help identify the type? As far as the IC's go I dont believe that any are socketed but I will go back over it and check.