View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
S-Video separates the luma and the chroma, but you're still limited to ~330 lines luma resolution, and the chroma resolution is still constrained with S-Video. Even S-Video doesn't live up to the full potential of the DVD standard.

Perhaps ignorance on the part of consumers played a role? I know my parents had a 40 inch Trinitron with component in, but never the component inputs. My father used the composite video cable that came with the first DVD player he bought around 2001 or 2002.
According to the interweb, you could buy players with component video out as early as 1997, and DVD always supported 16x9 resolution, so I would say it's reasonable to conclude they designed it with the future in mind. VHS had a good 20 year run, I bet they thought DVD would too.

My parents got a Sony 43" rear projection TV and a DVD player in 1999, it was a huge improvement over the 20" trinitron it replaced.. I don't think anyone in our house cared about composite versus component, even through comoosite the equipment was so clearly superior for watching movies to what it replaced.