Thread: Mechanical TV
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I printed out a 7 1/2 inch 2mm thick Nipkow Disk on my 3D printer. I held the disk up to the light to see if I could see through the holes. It appears I could see through the inner set of holes which are used for synchronization of the spinning disk. The outer set of holes used for scan of the picture were smaller. Some of them you could see through, some were partly filled in (translucent), others you couldn't see any light through. Also some of the inner set of sync holes were doubled (two small holes side by side). Mbates maybe you were correct in your comment that "3D printer could get precise enough for those scan holes". I recently paid $392 new for my 3D printer which I think is probably representative of most 3D printers under $500. I may try to enlarge the smaller holes and fill in the duplicate holes. It took about 5 1/2 hours to print and about $1.50 in material. The 3D printout had a glitch on one edge. I think this may be due to excess filament left in the printer from previous print. I cleaned excess filament off the outside of the nozzle but did not remove the nozzle to clean out the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nipkow_test_01.jpg (34.1 KB, 8 views)