View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

1) Where does everyone get their tubes? Most of mine come from big lots or tube caddies, but what about the earlier tubes pre-octal? (I like to work on those the most) Buying individually can add up, especially for some of the more expensive tubes
I've picked up a lot over the years, including some huge lots from a guy who only wanted audio tubes & would dump the rest. I haven't had to buy a tube in years. A good first step would be to post a want ad here or on the antiqueradios.com forum as many members may have spares they can sell you.
3) What's the best place to get TV's or radios? (Rare stuff and more common stuff) I've seen that the ETF has some good stuff at auction, but my plans to go were interrupted.
Again, the forums are a good start as many of us have surplus sets. You're within a day-trips distance of a number of members. For radios, club meets are often loaded with bargains. I know that the MAARC meets have some great deals in their auctions, and they occasionally meet in northern VA

4) For smaller radios and televisions, whats the best way to pack and ship something?
For radios, I'll pack the insides of the cabinet to keep tubes from coming loose, then pack the radio in a box not too much bigger than the set, maybe an inch or two all around, with bubble wrap all around, then pack that box in a bigger box, maybe 2-3 inches bigger all around, with more bubble wrap between the 2 boxes.

7) How do you deal with electrolytics? Do you just purchase them as you need them? Or do you keep them in stock? (if so what values and ratings?)
I keep a supply on hand, organized in an Akro-Mils cabinet. The big movers are 10, 22, 33, 47, 68 & 100. If you don't want a lot inventory just get 450v for everything; for some applications lower voltages will do, especially for radio, so you could order some of those as well. I like having things on hand, just in case a rainy Sunday afternoon shows up!