View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Australian Kriesler TVs

These are a couple of Kriesler TVs I've revived. This was an indigenous Australian brand which disappeared in the 70s, but before then produced many fine quality radios from the 30s and TVs from 1956 when broadcasting began in Australia.

The first is a 79-2 from 1959, and probably one of the first in Adelaide as broadcasts didn't start until that year. Still has no sound, and I can't get any sort of picture to it because the channel frequencies changed in about 1960, and they don't correspond with the later frequencies, or the output RF from a video, so it's sitting...waiting. Any hints? A modulator with adjustable output may work, but does such a beast exist?!

The second is a model 79-16 from 1964 and responded well after a re-cap and a couple of resistors of the wrong rating being replaced. It has a Panasonic video driving it, and I can plug in a set top box or DVD player. Bit of a buzz with the sound, but the tuner frequencies match the RF output of the video.

There are still many of these around in Australia, and I also have a huge console 3-in-1 with a 25" TV, valve stereo and record player tucked away in the dry. Too big for the house, but no interest shown in others when offered for sale.

Hope you enjoy them - I do!

Cheers from South Australia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kriesler 1.jpg (127.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Kriesler 79-16.jpg (77.9 KB, 109 views)