View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

This tube is a round 21fjp22. The TV had a brightener on it when I had acquired it, but would not produce much of any kind of image initially. On the tester none of the guns would show any readings until the rejuvenation was performed. The difference afterwards resulted in a picture that was very impressive in a lit room (compared to an extremely dark unfocused looking picture in a dark room). I suppose I had hoped maybe this would be a fairly long term fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I agree with Electronic M's assessment of your situation. I hate to say this, but unless you can find some way to expose enough of the broken lead to solder to it (not likely, given how short it is), and the very real possibility of ruining the tube if anything goes wrong while you are working on it, your CRT is junk and must be replaced. I would try to find a good used CRT from a junked set. In this age of flat-screen TVs, it may not be easy to find a replacement for any size CRT, as these tubes are becoming very scarce and are all but impossible to find new--needless to say, no one makes CRTs anymore. I am not familiar with the CTC20 chassis, so I don't know if it uses a round or a rectangular CRT.

Further, if you rejuvenated the tube with a CRT tester, bear in mind that any improvement you may notice won't last long, so it is probably just as well that you will have to replace the tube. Rejuvenation is usually done only to restore a CRT to usable condition (albeit dim) until the tube can be replaced; it is not meant to be a permanent fix. The tube will eventually dim again, at which point it must be replaced. CRT brighteners were often used in the 1950s-'60s to extend the usable life of dimming tubes, but again, this was only a stopgap measure and usually resulted in a dim CRT again within months; the only solution in this case was either to replace the tube or the TV.