View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Here's what inspired this thread.....

I just rescued this 1946-47 Kelvinator electric range from the metal scrappers. I thought it seemed like a pretty well made piece:

My wife saw it, and said, yes, it's very well made, but look at the design of it. There are only 3 burners, and they are VERY close together. There's a ton of wasted space too.....it's got no broiler, and the oven is on the right hand side instead of under the burners, the rest is just storage. And, with the oven on the RIGHT, whatever you sit on the big space to the right of the burners is going to be subjected to the heat of the oven. Why wouldn't they have put the oven UNDER the burners, and made that whole space one large cabinet if they wanted to, or put two burners on each side as to make more cooking space? That would leave room for a broiler, too.

She's pretty smart, that one . But I'm still keeping the stove
That range reminds me of the Roper gas range my parents bought, when they first married. That surface above the oven, didn't get that hot, as those old ranges were very well insulated.
I see it has that removeable pot, for cooking soups, etc. That was a big selling point, at the time. Feature not available on a gas range.
Whoever owned the range, took really good care of it.