Thread: Philco 16/16b
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
Watching the youtube offerings... Feeling pretty confident the block caps will be a messy but fun experience..

Do any of the philco sites carry block by block capacitor replacement spec sheets?
I dont mind doing the messy work, but i definitely dont want to second guess about what exact cap and resistor i will be restuffing them with.. And i dont mind paying for the paperwork if necessary...

SR
I can't seem to find the site I used to get the values for my caps, but this looks like it has the info. Be sure to click the "Next Subject" link at the bottom as well:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/philcorestorer/page9.html

For restuffing them, I used radial Wima (German made) caps. Some of the chocolate blocks have resistors in them too. They're just a piece of wire wrapped on a strip of paper and don't seem to go bad.

I was largely able to restuff the chocolate blocks without removing them from the circuit. I unsoldered the leads coming out of the chocolate block, unscrewed the screw holding it in place, heated it up, and pushed the guts out the back with a dental pick. In most cases I could pull the block far enough forward to completely push the guts out.

Restuffing is as simple as inserting the new cap in the back, guiding its leads through the holes in the top, and soldering them in place.