View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

In the era when FBP & FJP were both being sold, the bonded tubes used frosted faceplates rather than clear (at least, every one I've seen did). I believe the PVA could help the optics in that case as just having the faceplate a hair too far away from the crt can result in a big loss of focus.

I've read an article in one of the TV repair trade magazines c.1959 talking about Sylvania introducing the first bonded tubes (b/w). I don't recall it mentioning safety, just how it freed up TV designers vs. separate glass. Personally, I do the edges either with double-sided tape or silicone & will continue to do so.

I suspect the original material had a very low viscosity when it was poured/pumped in. Maybe it was heated? Were it as thin as water or mineral oil perhaps air bubbles wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how they do it with modern auto glass.

Meanwhile, the vent windows on my '51 Ford have "cataracts" of their own. Rather than replace them I'm tempted to try taking them apart and then re-laminating them with silicone.