View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Old TVs are better!

I love old roundie color sets, but just don't have a lot room to store store a bunch of them in my shop area. I cherish my 21CT55 (CTC2B) and my CTC9 RCAs. Yours looks quite nice, nice cabinet and nice picture. The stereo in it is a good unit. Using 6BQ5s in push-pull, as outputs produce some great sound. Does the turntable work? Usually you can also hook up a CD player, etc. (even an I phone) to it as well, using it for some great sound. You have a knack to find a great career in something along the electronics lines. The first color set I saw that was running was in Sears at a mall, and wow, I know I had to have one but my parents at that time wouldn't spend the money. I found a CTC9 (not the same one I have here) back in the early 60s, pretty beat up with a weak CRT, for $75. Went to work on it, finished the cabinet, replaced the CRT, and many other parts, and my parents and I watched it for several years, until I found a CTC38, and sold the CTC9. The lady I sold it to used it for 3 or 4 more years, until the flyback smoked out. Oh yea, did you get the flyback replaced in your Admiral, and checked the horizontal output current? It's odd that it still produced HV, and a picture but would get hot and smell and/or smoke dripping wax. I think those flybacks in the admirals were just as troublesome as those in the early RCAs. Hardly even seen a flyback go bad in a Zenith. I only remember replacing one in a Zenith. You have a great thing going fixing and collecting these older TVs, and electronics. Most younger guys like you only want the latest digital gadgets. Keep up the good work..