View Single Post
Old 06-01-2003, 05:08 PM
AK Member

Vintage Shortwave recommendation sought

Hi Gang;

I can't seem to kick the need to once again aquire a vintage shortwave radio. I presently have a Sony ICF-2010 that I bought new many years ago, I have never 'warmed up' to it's digital nature. It just isn't fun to operate if you know what I mean. I miss the more traditional knobs and lights of the more classic receivers. I guess I thought it's portable capablities and great reputation would fix my occasional SW needs, but alas I don't turn it on more then once or twice a year.

So far I've looked and researched for over a year now and still can't decide for sure. For a while it was going to be one of those monster Collins R-390/(A) built for the CIA, but they are just too hugh, lack a product detector and are a little too pricey in restored condition for the causal use I plan.

Collins made many fine commerical ham and shortwave receivers but collectors have pushed this brand past the price/performance curve I seek.

So far my choice has narrowed to one of the Drake R-4 series receivers. These are primary ham receivers but when the proper optional crystals are installed they should work fine on SW bands. I would rather not have a tubed radio but have yet to find anything newer that has the price/performance that I'm looking for.

So any brand/model recommendations out there? As I said I'm more impressed with performance then looks. I would like to keep it in the $300 or less range but am flexible in price if it really lights my fire so to speak. Not sure anything made before the 60s would work for me but I'm willing to listen to opinions and then do some more research.

So what have you got for me?

Lefty

038° 00' 58.68" -122° 15' 39.54"
134.84 ft