View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ringing at the left edge of the image was often the first telltale sign of a budding horizontal deflection or power issue in the Norelco PC-60 and PC-70 cameras, e.g. deteriorating filter caps in the camera head, various other problems with horizontal deflection, extremely long or poor condition camera cable, even issues in the horizontal sweep of the viewfinder monitor could crosstalk into the camera head if bad enough.

These cameras did not have a built-in diascope, but an outboard unit was available that could be mounted in place of the lens. It was expensive and difficult to use, so was rarely seen. Various other methods were used to achieve good shading. Basically a somewhat defocused white card could be used, since any variation in lighting could be identified by moving the aim of the camera.

When I see the term "banding" I, too, always think of quadruplex banding. But I've observed that the "younger generation" often uses the term "banding" to describe the pooling of colors caused by quantization steps made visible by not having a sufficient number of bits in the video path.

Last edited by TVBeeGee; 07-28-2022 at 08:48 AM.