View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Never seen that, but you reminded me of something.

Back in the 90's when I was a kid I collected rotary phones...At one point I saw an antique toy phone kit (no dial) that used a battery (didn't buy it though). After seeing that I decided to try connecting two of my phones together with a 6V lantern battery in series with one of the wires, and discovered that was sufficient for them to work as an intercom (no ringer operation that way though). It was a curiosity at first but after dad got a job out of state leaving us to get the house ready for sale mom got very ill and for a time could barely leave her bed or speak...I rigged up that intercom system again for her with a ~50-100' cord connecting the phones...I forget how she got me to pick up (probably by smacking something that would make noise) but it worked, and she was grateful. And for a while, if she needed me to do or get something for her she would use that.

I did that with old phones too, when I was a kid. I bought these giant rayovac electric fence batteries at a surplus store, like lantern batteries on steroids. Cool story.