View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
My house is brick, & my plan-whether I end up w/a Rohn, or a light pole-would be to FIRMLY attach either one I end up with, TO the house as added support. I'm German background, & I fully believe in "Over-Engineering" EVERYTHING...(grin)
As a fellow Deutschlander by blood, I share your approval of over-engineering things.

However, firmly affixing an antenna tower to a brick (masonry) building often times results in structural damage from the ever-present variations in wind-loading. (Strangely this contradicts the Three Little Pigs strategy.)

My personal learning experience with this was recommending the chimney-mounting of a large (15' or so.) VHF/UHF TV-RO unit on at a co-worker's parents house. Everything worked great for over a year, and then they started hearing weird noises at times. Essentially it had sheared off the top half of the chimney (between the two mount straps) and the only thing keeping it together was the weight and the mast. The noises they heard were essentially 400lbs of brick sliding back and forth by half an inch or so...

I felt really awful about them having to pay to have things repaired, since more or less I was the "engineer" who signed off on the design.

I'm positive there's perfectly solid ways to mount your skyhook to a masonry structure, but I'd seek advice from someone who works with brick and mortar for a living first.
Audiokarma