View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a thread that I started on the AudioKarma site with pictures in June of 2012. It really isn't all that difficult and the results are excellent. The first one takes some time to get used to but it just works as they say.

Whether I restuff or place a terminal and use discrete capacitors depends on the "value" of the item being repaired. Restuffing those paper multi-section electrolytic capacitors can be a challenge. I have not tried it yet but have many awaiting the perfect way without destroying it. Read down through the post because there are many suggestions by other members.

What is important to me is the steel "common" ring. They are almost always destroyed when you disassemble the capacitor. I have quite a few NOS electrolytic capacitors and I just cut one open to "steal" the unused steel ring. Also, NOS capacitors come with a new phenolic and steel mounting plate as well (usually).

The first mistake that I made when rebuilding the first capacitor was drilling out the rivets on the Scott amplifier. If you have an NOS capacitor to get the steel ring out of, you can just remove all connections and then straighten out the tabs. If one breaks, no worries. Then, you just remount the newly rebuilt capacitor in the phenolic ring.

I hope all of this makes sense. It sure makes for a nice looking job and after the first one, it will take less than an hour to do. Remember, you don't have to fill up the capacitor with tar or wax. Just support the new electrolytic capacitors with something so that they don't flop about. And, there is no real need to make the inside of the old can spotlessly clean. Who will see it? Does it matter? Well, of course not.

The link:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...citors.448773/