View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Canada didn't have many of its own brands, i.e. Electrohome sets were re-badged Mitsubishis for a while. No idea what the Viking sets were based on, it was an Eaton's house brand.
Sets Made in Canada and not sold in USA? Sure there were a few

Electrohome
Rogers
Rogers/Majestic and later made in Canada Philips sets.
Eaton Viking (house brand at Eatons)
Marconi
Baycrest (house brand at the Bay)
RCA Victor (early ones made in Montreal, not the same as the US models)
Transonic (house brand at Woodwards)
Clairtone
Fleetwood (made in Montreal, I have a Fleetwood made Silvertone branded CTC-16 knock off)

Electrohome were not Mitsubishi until well into the 80s, they had lots of unique to Canada products.

I am sure I am missing lots here, not to mention the big names like Admiral, GE, Westinghouse etc who had Canadian subsidiaries which made TVs and radios paralleling the US models with subtle differences. Quite often when I see an old TV "in the wild" it is not a model which also sold in the USA, especially if it's from before 1970.

Despite that Canada had unique products I just think that the Made in Canada sets are not any different from mainstream US products than, say, Packard Bell in California is different from RCA in New Jersey. They're built to more or less the same standard as American TVs, (aside from 25Hz transformers in really early 50s stuff built for Ontario).and I would rather have access to the NTSC TV repair experts in the main forums, than post in a separate forum where PAL and other systems dominate.

Last edited by maxhifi; 05-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Audiokarma