View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
170CU slant six, three on the tree, no power anything.
I understand the smaller six, was a bit more reliable, but both were a lot more reliable than the competition.
Yep, same engine, also three on the tree. Dad eventually pulled the 170 and swapped in a 225 that would not start - my brother had installed the 170 crank - and after swapping in the proper crank, she turned over first time, and 116 miles later, made a 660-mile trip to the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville with not a single problem. My brother then got a (running, stock 302) 68 Cougar XR7 for 100 bucks and drove that, and eventually got himself that 64 Dodge with pushbutton tranny.

Dad put only one set of points in the 63 Valiant, as he built a transistor ignition for it right after doing the first tune up. He included a 3-pole switch so the standard ignition could be swapped in, if the transistor ignition ever failed. It never did. The Sept 1964 Radio Electronics magazine has a similar transistor ignition - dad's was so simple, I can still draw the schematic, 3 transistors (2N277s), equalizing resistors, and some isolation diodes - the rest is heat sink and wire. Fun stuff.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!