View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I would also tin the leads before putting the base back on, if they aren't already.
You know that makes so much sense, I wish I had done that the one time I had all the pins in. I probably could have just heated them and flooded the tip with solder and been good. Thanks for pointing that out. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
I saw a video of Bob Andersen's where he solders some fine wire onto the ends of those leads long enough to feed them easily into the pins. That seems to make it a much easier process.
You are right. Last night I found an old video from Bob Andersen where he goes into great detail with two different tubes about how to reattach the base. One he fed the wires through the base and then attached them to wires on the CRT by J hooks. In that situation, I would have to trim my wires down a bit. But his method of inserting the wires into the base and then attaching them to the CRT makes so much sense. I have learned so much from watching Bob, I am really glad he takes the time to make videos.

He also had a second method where he butt matched wires than he cut them into descending lengths starting with a really long one around 4" and ending with one around 1 1/2", that way he can just insert one wire at a time into the base. This is a method I had just about stumbled upon myself in trying to come up with a solution.

For anyone interested here is Bob Andersen's video on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQLTnaYU9U