View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
Enter Japan Inc: cross-subsidizing from vigorous consumer product profits and dumping b'cast product on USA to carve out market share.
Dumping on the Comecon as well it seems to me, considering how during the last years of the 80s Sony BVP-360 cameras appeared in East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Poland and the USSR. I find this remarkable because the camera purchases of the TV stations there were quite different before. And at least at CTV there were some internal discussions about a studio camera using 2/3'' tubes.

Concerning the original topic of this thread: I found it quite interesting to read that the BBC purchased Marconi Mark VII cameras to get started with colour, because these were three years later the first colour cameras of East German DFF, too.

There the last ones remained in service in the continuity studio of the second network until 1987, when it was no longer feasible to still maintain them. It's a bit unclear what the replacements were (one account hints at Soviet KT-132 or KT-176, a single video still reveals a Bosch KCP-60 instead), but either way it is being said that they brought no discernible improvement of picture quality.

The most recent evidence of Mark VII in East German outside broadcasts I found so far on Youtube is from 1980 (here it is interesting how the comet tailing turns out blue on the red-lacking mercury vapor lamps on the stadium rim): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDIIclU2QHw#t=1458