View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Analog Reception

Since I won't have the set back in a cabinet by the time analog TV is history, I thought I should shoot a couple of photos of over the air broadcasts.

The on the left is Channel 12 in Flint Michigan, 36.1 miles away. The one on the right is Channel 6 in Lansing about 7.4 miles away. For channel 6 I don't even need a rabbit ear. Just 2" of wire.

The key-stoning you see in the right hand photo is because I'm close to the TV and at a slight angle.

I think the slight fuzziness is because I need to align the video IF. I have to finish restoring my Hickok alignment generator first.

I've also been slow in starting on the cabinet because I've been tracking down all the minor problems I could find. One was a crackling in the sound as the set warmed up. I thought I'd find that one of the electrolytics that I decided to keep was failing and I'd have to swallow my pride.

It turned out to be the 6Y6G audio output tube. I swapped it and the crackling went away. Swallowing my pride will come later.

I wonder if there is a heater to cathode short developing with it. The tube is coated so I don't think it was secondary emission from the glass.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Channel_12.jpg (101.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg channel_6.jpg (112.3 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by jeyurkon; 11-14-2009 at 08:03 PM.