View Single Post
Old 01-10-2024, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another update..
My original HR-D470U that I bought was doing some crazy crap after I started working on that other one. The display was doing weird stuff..flashing, counter resetting etc. When I pulled it apart to look at that small PCB, I must have broken one / some of those connectors in those FFC connectors because with my original display my VCR would not work at all. Sometimes I could move something just right and it might play for a bit but the display was crazy. I took another display from another unit and it had the flashing , counter resetting symptoms. I got frustrated with this and put it away for over a year.

Since I was able to get that dead 470 going, I decided to revisit my original 470. I got to thinking about those FFC connectors and decided to check them with a meter, There are several broken traces. I have yet another 470 that doesn't work.. won't track a tape. I took the front panel from it and put it on my original 470. It worked but the display was dim and flickering, and counter resetting during play. I pulled the power supply and tested caps with my Blue ESR meter that I didn't have last time I messed with this. Holy crap, Batman! 9 of 12 were very high ESR or just plain open. I replaced the caps and had a new problem. I was missing 5V. I looked and looked at the power supply thinking I did something bad. Well the 1A fuse that I thought I checked was bad. I checked the 3.15A the 1A next to it LOOKED good. I learned a valuable lesson. Check fuses with a meter, not your eyes.. and check the correct one! I got it back together and not only do I have it playing right now, but the display is working perfectly and brighter than before!

Since I borrowed the display and FFC cables from another unit, I want to put the original back. I'm afraid to mess with those FFC connectors. I have found some on Ali Express but they are 100mm long instead of 40mm. When they get here, I will try to do that.

With all of this messing around, I managed to break 2 of the connectors going to the power supply PCB. Be careful with this old plastic, It's very brittle! If I can figure out the part numbers to replace these, I will order some for the future.

So, now I have 2.75 of these 470's working. I'll count this one working when I get it actually reassembled with it's original display.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240110_204825379.jpg (57.0 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by redk9258; 01-10-2024 at 08:53 PM.