View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update: Another dumb moment for yours truly turns out the Klixon brand thermal degaussing switch actually was fine all along. I am so used to most old tv's having the disc style posistors and thermistors failing that I just assumed as a given the degausser switch was bad as well...I was wrong and am kicking myself for it. First off there were no symptoms of the switch actually having failed since there was never any discoloration on the tv screen indicating that. I was looking for a problem that did not exist out of preemptive paranoia. Talked to an older gentlemen who is a semi-retired tv repairman and former zenith/motorola tv/radio dealer that has a repair shop a few hours away in my state. He told me I won't hear the degausser kick on nor see it work because it all happens BEFORE the screen even lights up. He also said this switch is special and I can not just put in a dumb one button switch to manual degauss due to it needing a specific ohm range.

Good news....despite ripping it off it appears to still be ok and work as before according to my multimeter and thus I then successfully rewired it back on and lengthened the leads and secured it back onto the chassis after a bit of patience and time.