View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unfortunately nearly all the VHF TV antennas (aerials) have gone from the British rooftops. (Well in the Nottingham area they have) When my Canadian cousin came to stay with us in Nottingham in the mid 1960's he was fascinated with all the vertical H & X shaped antennas on just about every rooftop. I asked how they went on in Ottawa? He said "everyone had a rabbit ears antenna on top of the TV." Some people had a cable system called Rediffusion but it only got the same 2 TV channels that you got off the Antenna TV. Only posh people with plenty of money had UHF TV's on 625 lines. Until Nov 1969 the only program on UHF was BBC2, when BBC1 & ITV fired up on UHF in colour then UHF antennas appeared on the the rooftops. Sometimes the VHF antenna was taken down, but often they were just left there to fall to bits over the years. In my own case I used the VHF antenna for FM radio, it was still there when I joined the army in 1977 & went to Germany, when I came back in 1981 it had gone, "blown down in a gale" my parents said. Hardly anyone used VHF TV after the early 70's, they'd all gone over to UHF 625 lines in black & white or colour...

Last edited by Colly0410; 12-08-2016 at 12:42 PM.