View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldTV View Post
I know this is an old thread but I figured it was a good place to start. A relative of mine just came to be in possession of a GE 10T4. It had been sitting in a basement (elevated at least, not n the floor). I don’t know if it powers n or works at all. The insulation on the cord is rotting away. I would want to replace the cord before plugging it in to see if it works.

From a little bit of Googling (that’s how I ended up here) I found that it’s from around 1949-1951, give or take. The interesting part, at least for me, is that this was in Bridgeport, CT, literally a couple of miles up the road from the massive former GE plant. My father actually worked there for a couple of years around the early 70s. I don’t know if GE made TVs in Bridgeport. I think they made small appliances there, but it would be cool if it was actually made there.

So I have a couple of questions. 1. Does anyone know if GE made the 10T4s in Bridgeport? 2. Can I tell by the serial number where/when it was made? 3. What might it be worth, in both non-working and working condition?

As soon as I can get a picture uploaded, I’ll post one, or two.
GE was such a big concern and had so many plants, if was hard to figure what was up.
Bridgeport was actually the housewares plant. Items like toasters, irons etc.
Radios were handled as part of housewares.
TV's, no matter what size were part of major appliances. You couldn't get parts for GE radio's, at their parts distributors for TV's which was company owned.
The radio parts had to be purchased at third-party concerns, such as small appliance repair shops that handled mainly GE products.
They couldn't be like RCA, Zenith, Motorola and a few others.
Sometimes, firms get a little too big.