View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I first started picking up TV's in 1989-'90, I could easily get $20-$25 for a 12" B&W. The cheapest color sets that I sold were tube sets and those were in the $40-$50 range. 19" knob tuned solid state color sets brought $75+ and models with remote and cable ready tuning brought $100-$125. The bigger the screen, the more I could get. Things started changing in the mid '90's, when places like China-Mart started selling 19" color TV's with remote for $139. Even though I had to lower my prices, I still did pretty good at selling CRT sets until around 2006, or so. Once CRT TV's stopped being sold by stores and while flat screens were still a little on the high side, I enjoyed a brief period of being able to sell used CRT TV's to people who could not afford a flat screen. Now, the prices of new TV's are cheap enough that anyone who wants a new set can usually afford one; so, there's basically no market for older TV's.

I knew an older guy who sold used TV's back in the '70's and according to him, prices were really way up there. He said he could get $75-$100 for a decent 19" B&W. When I started, 19" B&W's usually brought $35-$50 for the nicer solid state models.