View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Resident Lunatic

I do extremely well here in Detroit. We had TV starting in 1946 with WWDT (WWJ-TV starting in 1947, today WDIV), which was the tenth station in the entire country to sign on.

The occasional 621TS pops up, 630s galore, lots of late 40s stuff, and then we had two stations carrying color programming starting in 1954, so we have more than our share of early color stuff as well. I've unearthed two CT-100s and one CTC-4, and others have found everything from a 21-CT-55 to a rare Sentinel color set.

TV caught on more quickly here in Detroit for two reasons I think: first and foremost, we had an extremely large, and relatively wealthy, middle class thanks to the auto industry. At one point in time over 90 percent of the world's cars were built right here in Michigan, and a commonly quoted figure says that for every one job in an auto plant, there were seven other jobs in related suppliers and supporting industries.

The other factor is weather. We have cold, harsh, relatively long winters that most people don't seem to tolerate very well, though they've never bothered me. Turning on a television set was much preferable to dragging your ass out to the car, going to a movie, etc in 10 degree weather.
Audiokarma