View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
16mm film and full bandwidth standard definition analog TV were roughly the same quality.
VHS tape had less resolution than 16mm film, but better quality than 8mm film.
16 mm was not considered HD quality in the late 1990s - early 2000s, but as broadcast HD quality dropped in 2010s and 16 mm got better, it started to be accepted for TV, especially after SD TV was phased out. In particular, "Scrubs" has been shot on 16 mm with the sides preserved for widescreen. One episode in season 5 I believe was aired in HD. Also, season 8 was aired in HD, shot with the same Aaton camera. I keep my fingers crossed, waiting for "Scrubs" remaster in HD.

Super 8 can look better than DVD, some say it can look like HD. I saw some spectacular looking Super8, but some crappy looking as well. VHS is more stable in quality, but you can see that it is analog consumer-grade video with its interlacing, its jitter, its spurious noise, its murky low-res color, ugh.

https://youtu.be/3Nh9BTMWj9M

Video8 was better than VHS, about 275 lines. Hi8 and SVHS are even better, but chroma resolution is unchanged, it is pitifully low.

Last edited by DVtyro; 09-20-2022 at 08:32 PM.