View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
Hey all,

I have noticed over the last few years of DTV reception, that I experience drop-outs of DTV channels and/or them breaking up. Just now with normally perfect local Boston reception, things went to sh*&% and other channels were the same. Around this time the sun came out really full bore. In the winter here in N.H., DTV reception is overall pretty good. Do any of you in the continental U.S. see this behavior over the calendar year? Right now I have no signal on any DTV (even local ~~ 30- miles) channels other than patchwork looking video with no audio. It's been about 30 min into this (I guess) solar event.

Tom (PK)
No signal at 30 miles shouldn't happen due to atmospherics. You didn't say what your antenna setup is??

Losing all signals indicates something else is wrong, unless your setup is on the hairy edge already.

Over the horizon reception is going to be affected by temperature strata (refraction) as well as diffraction over the horizon or hill in the way.

I'm 35 miles from Chicago with an attic antenna aimed that way. Chicago is perfect, and at certain times of the day I can receive at least one UHF from Milwaukee off the back of the antenna.

I have an amplified indoor antenna on one set on the second floor - no Milwaukee ever on that one, and some Chicago breakup in summer thunderstorms, which I attribute to shooting through the neighbor's house diagonally from me and the moving wet leaves of the even taller trees behind that.