View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Florence

Casio TV "green screen of death"

As the years go by, and I occasionally look at Casio portable LCD TVs on eBay, I find more and more of them with the "green screen of death", in which the only sign of life the set gives is a green screen and no sound when powered on. It's normally just a symptom of the batteries going dead, but on afflicted sets, it's permanent, even with new batteries.

I find that the mid 90s sets (TV-470, TV-480, TV-600, etc) are starting to have it happen, and sets from before then (TV-400, TV-430, TV-800, TV-1000, many others) are pretty much guaranteed to have it now.

I've never been able to find a single account of someone attempting to diagnose or fix this problem. So I thought I'd throw it out here - has anybody here? Does anyone figure it's probably bad SMD capacitors, or something else?

I've got a TV-400 that was working fine when I acquired it in 2012. A couple of years later, it inevitably went green. One of these days I want to crack it open and see what's up, although god knows I'll probably never be able to fix it since I've never worked with SMD stuff.