View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Technohippie

I have serious doubts about the safety of tubes that have undergone the standard cat removal procedure. The whole purpose of that resin was to effectively form a glass/resin/glass laminated panel, similar to automotive safety glass. Without the resin layer, it is just an unprotected CRT behind a second sheet of non-safety glass (the reinstalled faceplate). At least the older sets actually used a laminated glass safety panel in front of the unprotected CRT. The faceplates on laminated tubes are just tinted or frosted glass, which would only add to the shrapnel from an implosion if not bonded with the resin.

Obviously CRT rebuilders must have had a way to remove and rebond these faceplates properly when rebuilding tubes, as the resin would never have stood up to oven bakeout. Does anyone know how this was done? It isn't addressed in the excellent film made of HawkEye's rebuilding process over on the ETF site. I imagine that it takes some special setup (like vacuum impregnation) to ensure no trapped air bubbles in the resin. Clear 2 part urethane casting resin is available from several suppliers, and would probably be a good substitute for the PVA that was originally used, if a way was available to get a void-free fill.

The 25VCZP22 that I found locally turns out to have issues with the red gun, so probably won't be used. The ETF has a pair of NOS 25VABs available for $75 each, so if one of them is cat-free I will likely purchase one of those. They are in the process of checking them for me. The VCZ would have actually been a nicer tube, being a tension banded type with no cataract worries at all. Bummer about the red gun...

Last edited by N2IXK; 07-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.