View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I have found that there are many things that can be used as gasket material and places like Home Depot are full of them, or better yet your garage. Tire patch stuff is a good idea. Inner tubes work good for lots of things. Hardware stores have a lot of stuff for weather stripping things like doors, air conditioners etc. Simple cardboard has bailed me out a time or two. I just sort of go into McGuyver (television show) mode when it comes to things like that.

And as to modern radio programming, I just wish that I could program a radio to play The Alice's Restaurant Masacree at wake up time. In four part harmony.....
Thanks, as to what I used as the gasket material for the clock mechanism's glass bezel I did end up using tire patch material and it works pretty well albeit with a little more of a gap between the cabinet and the dial glass than the original material had but it at least holds the dial glass in place so it doesn't cause any excessive wear on the clock dial. Now if I could only figure out a way to make the radium paint they used on the hands of the clock work again (its completely shot as it won't glow anymore not even when I use a full size Maglite flashlight shone on the dial for 2 minutes.)

Other than that the unit works great, and gets really good reception and I know some of the people on here said that this particular model didn't have AFC built in, and because of that its notorious for having drifting issues on the FM Band, but it seems like mine actually might be a later model that might actually have AFC built into it (albeit a very simple AFC Circuit) as I haven't had any issues with drifting on the FM Band on this radio (except for when I first got the unit and first fired it up and went to check the tubes and I found out that the 12AT7 tube that's in the radio was at one point in time replaced with a 12AU7A tube which was completely dead when I tested it and when I replaced the dead 12AU7A tube with a known good 12AT7 of extremely high quality the FM Band came back to life and never drifted since.) The reason why I'm saying that mine is more than likely a later model with at least a simple AFC built in is because there's a date rubber stamped to the radio chassis of October 1962, and as far as I know most AM/FM radios made by Zenith by that time had an AFC circuit of some sort built in to the radio whether it was the simple circuit mentioned in some of the earlier posts on here that was used in the 7 tube radios or if it was the more elaborate AFC Circuit that was utilized in the 8 Tube radios where the AFC Circuit was had its own tube powering it. Either way it seems to me that my radio may be one of the better versions of this particular clock radio model.