View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 12:31 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Some Europeanen cars are not underpowered. But big, only a few.
I can't remember how big is G.A.Z. M21 Volga on the inside (ride one on twice ocasions - same car). It's not very big, but not too small either. But for here is considered a big car. It wasn't a good acceleration car, but the engine had a good torque. Fuel consumption was not low.
But a 4, maybe 5 litre engine was too small in the late '60's?

What I hate the fact that they don't make cars at that is easy to make some custom stuff, for eg the brake pedal on the right (manual gearbox), light dip on the floor and so on.
Some cars today don't have any longer a spare tire.
Liters displacement really came in around the time fuel injection took over in the 80s.

Most full size American cars of the 60s were underpowered if displacement was under 250CID most of the inline 6 ecconomy engines I've heard of were in the 250s to low 300s...(granted you probably weren't going to be able to pass people, and on a wagon or truck or van loaded it might become underpowered). I've heard that many of the inline slant 6 engines were longer lived than most of the V8s available. Some of the midsize and compacts could easily get away with offering even smaller engines.

This might sound a bit obnoxious but the Studebaker Lark Compact while available with small 6 cylinder engines could also fit and be ordered with rather large V8s...I hear it was a somewhat popular drag racing setup back in the day...heck there is even someone in my area that built one up.and drives it in the summer.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4