View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
So, the color splashes are only with VCR tape, not with the live/converter? That might be more understandable. I do not know how SECAM VCRs work for the color channel, but I can imagine the FM chroma signal-to-noise ratio might not always be good enough on tape.
Also, I am surprised to hear that fine tuning affected the hue - do you know the mechanism for this distortion? Is the effect gradual or abrupt? Is it worse on taped material or the same as with the converter?
Thanks for the interesting report!
The hue fine tuning effect is gradual. The color splashes were visible in SECAM live transmissions in the 1980s also, not only on VHS. Perhaps the different video bandwidth in France and in East Germany might be the reason. France has a video bandwidth of 6 MHz, East Germany only 5 MHz. So, the FM chroma signal-to-noise ratio is worser for East Germany SECAM as for France SECAM. Russia and the Eastern block have 6 MHz video bandwidth. SECAM was designed for this.

East Germany has also 6 MHz video bandwidth in the early years. This results in no sound for East German TV in West Germany. With respect to communist propaganda for West Germany, the video bandwidth was changed to 5 MHz and the same audio IF like here, so we could listen to the communist's propaganda. All East German tv sets had to be readjusted to get sound again after the change of the video bandwidth. But the handicap was, that SECAM was running with limited video bandwidth and a worser FM chroma signal-to-noise ratio like in any other SECAM country.

- Eckhard