View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 03:21 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
While, the Roku 1 still works, it has limited compatibility. For example, HBO no longer works on the Roku 1. I'n not sure which other services stopped working.

My Tivo series 3 still works fine as a DVR, but it has lost most of the streaming services, it can no longer be programmed via their web site, or app, and Tivo won't let new customers activate them.
I recently read online that the Roku 1 is now considered obsolete; support for it will end in a very short time. Roku's other Internet devices (Roku 2, 3, 4, et al.), however, will continue to be supported until further notice. That the HBO app no longer works on your Roku 1 bears this out, and is only the beginning. You will probably (even likely) notice that, one by one, the streaming apps will stop until nothing works. When everything stops, you will know your Roku 1 is no longer usable. I have a Roku 1 myself, but I am not in the least concerned about it becoming obsolete for at least two reasons: one, I have had a Roku 2 (which still works very well) for over a year, and two, I just purchased a 32" flat screen TV, to which my Roku 2 is connected. I mention this because I had originally planned to use the Roku 1 on one of my analog TVs if and when my 19" flat screen fails; however, since I now have the 32" Insignia FP and will keep the 19" set for a standby unit, I have no use for my Roku 1, which has composite video output. This type of video and audio output is, you guessed it, obsolete, which is why Roku's version 2, 3, 4... Internet devices only have one HDMI port for audio and video output to the television. This was done because analog TV is now obsolete, and most folks now have flat screens. There is just no use for composite audio/video output jacks on Rokus any longer.

Your DVR is likely obsolete (or close to it) as well, if most streaming services no longer work. TiVo is refusing to allow activation of any DVR as old as yours because they cannot be bothered with old technology. Time marches on, and eventually even the newest technology will become obsolete. There once was a joke in computer circles that said a computer (for example; this applies to other technology as well) will be obsolete the second you walk out of the store with it (or get it home). Today, however, that isn't a joke anymore. Technology changes so rapidly that most of it is obsolete (or, again, close to it) shortly after the devices come on the market.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-06-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Audiokarma